Company: Terry Dowd Inc. 2233 S. Throop St, Chicago, IL 60608
Department: Registration / Transportation
Position reports to: Registration Manager / Transportation Manager
Compensation: Hourly (+ benefits post probationary period)
Status: Full Time, non exempt
Since 1978, Terry Dowd Inc. has been handling fine art, artifacts, and antiques; objects that are high in value, fragile and irreplaceable. TDI, is perhaps best known among museums for its superior packing and crating services and its innovative adaptation of commercially available materials that meet conservation standards. Our crating methods have been informed by the research of the Canadian Conservation Institute, and in turn our standards have served as a guide for many institutions. Our clients, including many of the most prestigious museums, private collectors and corporations in the world, regularly contract us for the collection, crating, storage and transport of individual loans or entire exhibits.
Terry Dowd is looking to employ art handlers in both our Transportation and Registration Departments. Art Handlers work either within the TDI facilities or in the field in both individually and as a team to provide services including packing/unpacking, installing, condition reporting, crating, and moving/handling of fine art and high value property.
- Safely handle art using best practices and adherence to TDI standards for (including but not limited to):
- pick-ups and deliveries: understand how to properly load/unload a truck and keep artwork secure and stable during transport; ensure artwork is stored safely in the TDI facility.
- Packing/unpacking/crating: using proper archival materials and those appropriate to the medium/surface/condition and fragility of the item,
- installation of objects ranging from paintings and sculptures of all sizes, to mixed media works of all descriptions, in settings ranging from corporate, to residential, to institutional with the ability to select the proper hardware and exercise aesthetic judgment as needed.
- Safely and responsibly drive trucks carrying property of high value.
- Interact positively and communicate diplomatically with a typically educated, professional, and often opinionated customer base and colleagues/vendors.
- Prepare condition reports with high attention to detail and photograph property as needed.
- Complete critical paperwork such as inventories and bills of lading with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Work both individually and as part of a team to accomplish projects.
- Assist in maintaining the orderliness and security of the Terry Dowd facility and equipment.
- Other projects as assigned.